Wednesday, May 18, 2011

In clover

Yet another diminutive clover......I missed this one the other day.

Trifolium striatum

Knotted clover, Trifolium striatum is small, straggly clover, which is easily overlooked (that's my excuse anyway). It's hairy, with leaves being downy on both sides (see Blamey, Fitter and Fitter).


Trifolium striatum showing downy stolons and leaves

It prefers short turf on sandy soils, which makes our lane perfect.

It has beautiful, little pink flowers which have red striations on the calyx tube - hence its specific name, striatum.


Red stripes on calyx tubes of Trifolium striatum.


I only found one plant :(

Bibliography
Blamey, M., Fitter, R. & Fitter, A. (2003) The Wild Flowers if Britain & Ireland: A New Guide to Our Wild Flowers. A&C Black. (Sadly now out of print)






1 comment:

  1. Mel,
    I hadn't noticed you reawaken your blog - well done!
    Clovers are outside my remit, so if you can assist with any on the undercliff I'd be obliged.

    ReplyDelete