Sunday, June 14, 2009

Roger's Weeds

Cornflower Centaurea cyanus

Ahh Beeston! Yet another lazy Sunday morning at Cos Lodge with the Beeston Wildlife Group.

Did I say lazy? I meant indulgent.

Mothing, birding, ambling amidst the wildflowers and of course, chatting. There is always such an alarming amount to do!

Despite an heady overdose of anti-hayfever meds I ventured a close encounter with Roger's arable weed patch. It was in full bloom with cornflower (Centaurea cyanus) and corncockle (Agrostemma githago) putting on a summertime show.

Corncockle Agrostemma githago

Its a shame that this is such a rare sight these days. Our native arable plants have declined alarmingly in the UK in the last 60 years or so. Roger's small patch is a glimpse of how cornfields used to look.

Useful links: http://www.arableplants.fieldguide.co.uk/?P=home&SHC=4&PSD=1

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers, cornflower and corncockle, and you're lucky to have access to them.

    A botanist with hayfever? Is there time to rethink? Is your remedy herbal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve. Thanks for visiting Bedfordshire! I was told I woud grow out of the hayfever - err - that was about 35 years ago - I am still waiting. It only really afflicts me in June. I go out anyway and suffer. Would hate to miss the flowers. Remedy not herbal - OTC anti-histamines!

    ReplyDelete